One of the largest cities in the United States, Atlanta is renowned for being a wonderful place to live. From a vibrant food scene to the friendliest people, there are so many reasons to move to Atlanta. At Trans Canada Movers, we’ve been helping people like you start their new lives in this wonderful city for years. Read on to see our top tips for moving to Atlanta, Georgia.
If you’re moving from Canada, you’ll want to make sure that you’re fully prepared to cross the border and move to the United States. Make sure you review our guide for moving from Canada to the USA and have all of the proper documentation ready for your arrival.
Why Move to Atlanta, Georgia?
So, why should you make the move to Atlanta? Most locals who call the city home say that they wouldn’t want to live anywhere else. However, you need to be prepared before moving to the city – here are some of the things you should know before you go.
- Southern Hospitality. They aren’t joking when they say that people from the Deep South are some of the friendliest that you’ll meet. Because of that Southern Hospitality, you’ll always have plenty of people to talk with and will find it easy to make friends. This friendliness adds vibrant energy to the city.
- If you’re not a fan of cold weather, Atlanta is the place for you. With mild falls and winters, and barely any snowfall during the winter, you’ll be protected from extreme weather and chilly temperatures. However, be warned – Atlanta has the nickname Hotlanta for a reason. In the summers, the weather becomes extremely hot and humid, making air conditioning a must.
- Affordable Housing. You will be pleased by the housing options available in Atlanta. Not only is housing affordable for buyers and renters alike, but the affordability also extends throughout the city. No matter what your favourite area is, you’ll be able to find a place to call home for the right price.
- Gorgeous Getaways. Atlanta has so many exciting cities and beautiful sights within a few hours’ drive, meaning you’ll always have somewhere new to explore. Enjoy a hike with a view at Stone Mountain Park, spend a weekend eating authentic barbeque in Birmingham, Alabama, and allow yourself to be charmed by the romantic city of Savannah. If you’re a world traveller, you’re in luck – Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson airport is the world’s busiest. (Just make sure you arrive early for your flight.)
Best Areas to Live in Atlanta
Atlanta is full of diverse, exciting neighborhoods. There is no shortage of safe and eclectic areas to make your home. No matter what your priorities are, you’ll be able to find somewhere that fits your needs and personality. Some of our favourites are:
- Virginia Highland. One of the most popular areas in Atlanta, Virginia Highland is a friendly and exciting neighbourhood that is perfect for nightlife lovers, art enthusiasts, and families alike. Virginia-Highland can be described in one word: “quaint”. With a casual, small-town charm, you’ll love exploring the adorable restaurants, friendly boutiques, and bustling bar scene.
- Old Fourth Ward. The Old Fourth Ward is a historic area that has recently been rediscovered by those living in Atlanta. History buffs will love to wander the Old Fourth Ward, with beautiful Victorian-style houses and storied sites such as the Martin Luther King, Jr National Historic Site. In the summer, you’ll enjoy spending time in the Historic Fourth Ward Park, with outdoor theatre experiences, beautiful fountains, and a skatepark sponsored by Tony Hawk. This is the perfect area for people who want variety and something a little different.
- Experience a family-friendly neighbourhood just outside of Atlanta’s downtown core. Kirkwood has a small-town feeling while remaining close to the action of other, busier areas. This affordable area is a favourite for young families and those who love getting to know their neighbours. With charming community events abound, Kirkwood brings you the best of town and city life.
Locals’ Favourite Things About Living in Atlanta
You’ve arrived in Atlanta, chosen the perfect neighbourhood to live in, and are starting to feel settled. What’s next? Here are some things that locals love about living in Atlanta.
- Atlanta has an enviable food scene; you’ll always be able to find a new and exciting restaurant. Make sure that you don’t miss out on delicious Southern food and some of the amazing late-night eats. One of Atlanta’s landmarks is The Varsity, the world’s biggest drive-through, which has provided greasy eats for everyone from celebrities to presidents.
- One of the biggest perks about living in Atlanta is experiencing the Beltline, a 22-mile parkway that features trails, bike paths, events, and more. The popularity of this community-focused city project has led to new and surrounding restaurants and businesses thriving.
- Locals love visiting Piedmont Park, which is the home of exciting festivals, views of the city skylines, and an outdoor place to relax. Joggers will love the variety of refreshing spaces to exercise, while pet parents will love taking their dog to the off-leash dog part.
- For a classic summer adventure just outside of the city, head out to the Chattahoochee River and enjoy taking a tube down the river with a cold drink in hand, laughing with your friends and family. Many locals find themselves along the Chattahoochee each weekend.
How Much Does It Cost to Move to Atlanta?
When making a move to Atlanta, you want to focus on the exciting life you’re going to make for yourself in the new city. You want your move to be efficient and cost-effective. At Trans Canada Movers, we’ve been helping people like you make long-distance moves with minimal stress, so you can pay attention to all that awaits you in Atlanta.
Contact us today to get started with your move to Atlanta, or use our Moving Calculator here to request a custom quote for all of your valuables that you’re moving with you.