Your Guide to Moving to Ottawa, Ontario
So, you’ve made the decision to move to Ottawa, Ontario. Congratulations! While Toronto may be bigger and busier, those in the know say that Ottawa is the best place to live in Ontario. Whether you’re a West Coast Canadian making the journey across the country, or you’re an American starting a new life in Canada’s capital, you have so much to look forward to in your move to Ottawa.
At Trans Canada Movers, we’ve been helping people like you make the move to Ottawa for years; let us tell you the things you need to know about Ottawa, where to live, and the top things that you have to look forward to after your move.
Ottawa: The Must-Knows
When you’re moving to Ottawa, there are few key pieces of information that you need to know that will help you to make sense of and navigate your new life in this small city.
- It’s A Government Town. You can’t miss Parliament Hill, and it’s more than just a gorgeous building; Ottawa is the capital city of Canada. It isn’t just home to the Prime Minister and cabinet – Ottawa is home to countless government employees. If you aren’t working for the Canadian government yourself, rest assured you’ll have plenty of new friends who do.
- It’s a Culture Hub. Canada is referred to as a cultural mosaic and its capital city is no exception. You’ll enjoy vibrant neighbourhoods, like the food-forward Chinatown or the art-filled Little Italy, and get to meet people from all over the world who call Ottawa home.
- Gatineau is really Living in Ottawa gives you the benefit of being close to Quebec. We’re talking just-over-the-bridge close; the city of Gatineau is just across the water and is distinctly Quebecois.
- It’s Bilingual. You don’t need to go to Gatineau to indulge in French-Canadian culture. Over half of Ottawa’s residents speak both languages, making Ottawan life a truly Canadian experience.
- It’s Friendly. While some of the bigger cities in Canada have a reputation of being bustling, aggressive, or great places to party, Ottawa’s reputation is much more relaxed. It’s known quite simply for being a friendly, quiet city with a small-town feeling. Don’t be surprised if you feel totally welcome from complete strangers.
Where to Live in Ottawa
From the bustle of downtown to quiet, suburban areas, Ottawa has a neighbourhood that anyone can settle into and be happy in. Here are some of our personal favourites.
If you’re moving to Ottawa to pursue the student life, or want to be close to all of the entertainment downtown, we recommend moving to the Sandy Hill area. This vibrant neighbourhood is home to the University of Ottawa, meaning that many young people from all over the world call Sandy Hill Home. If you like nightlife, there are more than a few pubs to choose from, and theatre aficionados will love to watch Shakespeare in the Park during the summer.
Are you a trendsetter? The Glebe is the area that you need to be. The Glebe is a paradise for those who love quirky, small businesses, and there are so many to choose from. Feel like hitting up an old movie theatre? In the mood to have drinks while playing arcade games? How about eating some of Canada’s best Mexican food? This is just a taste of all there is to enjoy when you visit The Glebe.
If you’re moving with your family, but don’t want to miss out on the action, consider moving to Westboro. Centrally located, this family-friendly neighbourhood is full of hip coffee shops and refreshing green spaces. Oh, and did we mention that there’s a small beach?
The Best Things About Moving to Ottawa
Once you’re moved and settled, you have so much to look forward to about living in Ottawa. Some of the highlights include:
- Visiting the Byward Market. The Byward Market is one of the coolest areas of Ottawa and has something for everyone. Visit their outdoor farmer’s market, open all year round, and visit adorable boutiques. At night, you can experience the amazing patio culture and eat at one of the many spectacular restaurants.
- The world-famous Rideau Canal runs through Ottawa and makes for a lovely stroll or paddle during the summer. However, what it’s best known for is freezing during the winter and becoming a wonderful skating rink. It’s a quintessential Canadian experience.
- Are you outdoorsy? You’re going to love the amount of Green Space that you’ll find in Ottawa. There is no shortage of parks to relax in with a blanket and a book, so go ahead and get that fresh air.
- Ottawa is a city of festivals and there is a celebration for everyone to enjoy. Check out worldwide music talent at Buskerfest or enjoy the smooth sounds at RBC Bluesfest. The best celebration is, of course, Canada Day, with an epic fireworks display you won’t soon forget.
Planning Your Move to Ottawa
Moving cross-country, or even cross-border, can be daunting and stressful. You have so much to look forward to with your move to Ottawa; why don’t you let the experts take care of the stressful parts? At Trans Canada Movers, we’ve been helping people like you move from one city to the other smoothly and efficiently. We can even help with storage, packing and furniture assembly!
Focus on your excitement for your move; call Trans Canada Movers today at 1 (888) 433-1335 or contact us here.