What You Need to Know About Moving to Philadelphia
Philadelphia is a wonderful place to live. Combining all of the excitement of a large city, like New York or Chicago, with a smaller, more intimate feeling, it’s no wonder that so many are proud to call Philly home. If you’re thinking of moving to Philadelphia, here is everything that you need to know to prepare. Before long, this incredible city will become your new, wonderful home.
It is always important to be prepared for relocation to a new city. If you’re moving from Canada, make sure you’re prepared for your cross-border move. Make sure that you have all the forms and documentation you need; we’ve compiled the most important ones here.
What You Need to Know Before Making the Move
Before you make the move to Philadelphia, you should become familiar with what life will look like after moving to the city. Here are some of the things you should know before landing in Philadelphia.
- One of the best things about Philadelphia is how affordable it is. There are housing options in wonderful neighbourhoods that can fit any budget or living situation – singles, couples, and families can find a wonderful home that suits their budget. This affordability extends to other costs as well. You’ll find that food is well priced and that there are many free attractions throughout the city.
- Don’t expect to do all of your shopping in a grocery store – Philadelphia is a city of markets. Browse through stalls and support local business when you pick up your groceries from local vendors. Pick up a pork sandwich to eat while strolling through Reading Terminal Market or enjoy the Italian Market, an open-air market spanning ten blocks.
- Philadelphia is extremely pedestrian and biker friendly. One of the best ways to get to know the city is on foot and there are plenty of gorgeous areas to spend the day walking through and exploring. You can’t miss a walk down South Street, filled with colourful shops, delicious foods from throughout the world, and bustling nightlife.
- Philadelphia is one of the historical centres of the United States of America. You’ll be able to soak up American history when you visit the iconic Liberty Bell and the Independence Hall, where the Declaration of Independence and Constitution were signed.
- For those who love art and culture, Philly is one of America’s greatest cultural hubs. With over 200 art galleries, unbelievable murals and an incredible theatre scene, there is always something new, quirky and exciting to experience.
Where to Live When Moving to Philadelphia
There are many incredible neighbourhoods to live in Philadelphia. This is a city filled with history and character, and you have a number of areas to choose to live in, each with its own unique energy. Here are some of the best places to live when moving to Philadelphia.
- Fishtown is a hip area with close proximity to Center City (in Philadelphia, no one calls it downtown – it’s Center City). This is the place to be for those who love up and coming vibrant areas, with delicious dining options and live music venues. This area also has a strong sense of community; don’t be surprised if your neighbours become your friends.
- In the excitement of Center City, Logan Square is somewhat of a hidden gem. Central yet quiet, this area is perfect for anyone, including families, who want to be near the center of it all with a residential ambience. You’ll love strolling through the tree-lined streets and the proximity to all the museums along the Benjamin Franklin Parkway.
- One of the best neighbourhoods to make your home is Rittenhouse Square. Those who love to spend time outdoors and green space will love to explore Rittenhouse Square Park, a popular area for Philadelphians to congregate. While this is definitely a more luxurious area, you’ll experience all the finest dining, shopping, and experiences that Philadelphia has to offer.
The Best Things About the City
Once you’ve settled, what are the best things about living in Philadelphia? Here are the things that you’ll love about living in Philadelphia and won’t be able to remember how you lived without.
- There’s a reason that Philly Cheesesteak is world-famous. You can’t miss out on this delicious cheesy sandwich after moving to the city. Locals say the best cheesesteaks come from John’s Roast Pork, Dalessandro’s Steaks and Hoagies, or Jim’s Steaks.
- A cheesesteak isn’t the only thing you’ll end up enjoying; Philadelphia boasts a delicious food scene. Enjoy dinner at Zahav, one of the best restaurants in America, enjoy all the tastes at Reading Terminal Market, and find your favourite place to pick up a soft pretzel.
- Some of the best things in Philadelphia don’t come at any cost to you; there are so many free things to do throughout the city. Many of the city’s incredible museums, lining the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, are completely free. Tour the city’s many public art pieces and historical sites. During the summer, you’ll love hanging out in Spruce Street Harbor Park – literally. This park is lined with hammocks!
- Philadelphia is one of the greatest cities for sports in the United States. Philadelphia boasts world-class baseball, football, hockey, and basketball teams, providing many opportunities for a thrilling day watching the game.
- One of the best things about living in Philadelphia is the amazing festivals and public events that showcase the fun culture throughout the city. You can skate on an outdoor roller rink at Summerfest from May to September. In the fall, you can enjoy one of the harvest festivals at the many pumpkin patches surrounding the city.
Long Distance Moving to Philadelphia, PA
Are you ready to take the next step in moving to Philadelphia? Let Trans Canada Movers help. We’ve been helping people like you make the most of their long-distance and cross-border moves. You can trust us to make your move smooth and efficient, eliminating any worry you may have about the moving process. Ready to get started? Contact us here or call us today to discuss long-distance moving to Philadelphia