Whether it be for your dream job, to be closer to family, or you just need a change of scenery – moving to a new city changes your life. You’ll get to experience completely new surroundings and people. While moving to a new city is exciting, it is also nerve-wracking. We at Trans Canada Movers have been helping people like you make the move from one city to another for years. Here are some of the most important things that we’ve learned about preparing for your move and settling into your new city.
What to do before moving to a new city
So, you’ve decided to make the move – congratulations! Whether it’s the next town over or to a new country, making this move is a big deal and you deserve to celebrate this change. However, before you move, there are a number of things that you need to consider. You must remember to:
- Research, research, research: You want to show up to your new city with as much knowledge as possible. Do research to find out essential information and documents you’ll need to have as a new resident, such as medical forms, identification, and what you can expect to pay in rent. This research will also help you to get excited for your big move! This is the time to make lists of restaurants you can’t wait to visit, neighborhoods you want to explore, and local activities you’ll want to participate in.
- Make a budget: There’s no way around it – moving is expensive. You might be moving to a new job or going with no job at all. Make sure that you know the costs of everything you’ll need to do before your move, the price of the move itself, and make sure that you’re financially prepared for whatever may arise when you arrive and get settled into your new city.
- Find a place to live: You might be moving to a tiny studio in a big city, or a house in a small town; either way, you’ll need to find somewhere to live before relocating. However, it shouldn’t just be about the price and the amenities of the new place; you want to consider which neighborhood you want to live in. Do some research into areas of the city that seem like places you’d want to live; after all, if you’re a foodie who loves to be in the centre of it all, you won’t want to be in the suburbs.
- Book a reliable mover: It can seem tempting to do it all yourself. However, especially when you’re moving to a new city, working with an experienced moving company can relieve a lot of stress and make moving more efficient. Trans Canada Movers specializes in safely and quickly moving you from one city to another; learn more here.
Getting Settled Once You’ve Arrived
The final box is unloaded, the moving truck has left, and you’ve officially relocated to a new city. Often, we’re left with a feeling of: what do I do now? Take a deep breath – there is no pressure to do everything at once. You want to focus on taking good care of yourself so you can start to feel settled. Here are some ways that you can do this:
- Unpack in a way that reminds you of home: The best way to get settled is to unpack all of your belongings. It will feel foreign to be in a new place in a different city, but seeing your familiar furniture and decor set up will instantly make it feel more like home.
- Explore the city: Some of you may have moved to the city alone, or are missing your social network back home. However, this is the best time to go out and explore! Take the time to stroll around, relax in a park, and become a regular at that cute coffee shop down the road.
- Get into a routine: You’ll start to feel settled once you have unpacked, start working and get used to the ins-and-outs of life in your new city. Try to make healthy routines that prioritize exercise, healthy eating, and a good sleep schedule; this will help to keep you on track and feeling normal, even though you’ve just gone through a huge change.
- Say yes!: To start getting involved, remember to say yes to every opportunity that presents itself to you. You might be thrown out of your comfort zone, but if that new coworker invites you to a party or your neighbor tells you about a cool event, you should go! This is how you make friends and build your social network. Don’t be afraid to sign up for a sports team, painting class, or another activity you’ve always wanted to try; now is the time.
It’s not always easy moving somewhere new – preparing and settling in can be stressful and overwhelming. However, it can be an incredibly rewarding experience. If you’re planning a city-to-city move, or even a cross-border move within North America, contact Trans Canada Movers today. We are experienced in helping people such as yourselves have excellent moving experiences