Why Move to Chicago? Moving to Chicago from Canada
Chicago, Illinois, also known as the Windy City, is one of the most iconic cities in the United States, and for good reason. The name ‘Chicago’ conjures up imagery of gorgeous skylines, deep-dish pizza, and the iconic Cloud Gate public art. However, it’s not just a great place to visit; it’s a wonderful place to live. Moving to Chicago from Canada is an exciting prospect. So why move to Chicago? Let Trans Canada Movers tell you the top things you need to know, the best neighbourhoods to move to, and Chicagoan’s favourite things about their city.
What to Know Before Moving to Chicago
You want to be fully prepared when you’re moving from Canada to Chicago; with the right preparation, it’ll be easy to turn this vibrant town into your home.
- You Probably Don’t Need a Car. Chicago is renowned for its incredible public transit; in fact, theirs is the second biggest public transit network in the USA! From buses to the famous ‘L Train’, there are endless public transit options. For those who prefer life on two wheels, Chicago is super bike-friendly and features a popular bike-sharing service, Divvy; we also love the water taxi on a sunny day.
- Prepare for the Weather. Chicago is called the Windy City for a reason (by tourists; once you’re a local, you’ll scoff at the Windy City name). Winter winds bring in extremely cold temperatures; you’ll need to cozy up in a coat that resembles a sleeping bag to maintain comfort. Don’t worry, though, as winter is a quintessential Chicago experience and there are a variety of warm winter events that await you after moving to the city. Plus, the summer weather is perfect.
- You’ll Find the Perfect Apartment. There are many different neighbourhoods in Chicago, many of which have affordable housing options, from rentals to homes for sale. There is an area for everyone in Chicago that can fit your vibe, needs, and budget.
- You’ll be part of a Community. Maybe it’s the cold winters forcing people to congregate indoors, or its just that Midwestern kindness; either way, Chicagoans are known for being warm and welcoming. You’ll find it’s easier than you thought to meet your people and become accepted in this city.
Best Areas to Move to in Chicago
There are a number of wonderful areas, 77 to be exact, within Chicago that can fit whichever lifestyle you want to leave, whether that’s in the quiet of the suburbs or the heart of nightlife. Here are some of our personal favourite neighbourhoods in Chicago:
- Take in the gorgeous city skyline when you move to Lincoln Park, filled with parks, gardens, and green space. This bustling area is perfect for those who love to eat, filled with some of the finest eateries that you’ll find in America. Endless attractions make Lincoln Park the perfect place to entirely submerge in all Chicago has to offer.
- You don’t have to choose between an urban feel and a suburban lifestyle. Living in Humboldt Park is an affordable, suburban area that is teeming with life. The area’s Puerto Rican population has filled the area with vibrant street festivals and gorgeous public art. The highlight is the park itself, which is perfect for relaxing on a summer’s day.
- If you’re looking for easy access to the city centre, a fun young population, and nonstop fun, Lakeview is where it’s at. Lakeview is regularly regarded as the best place to live in Chicago, and for good reason. This affordable area is extremely transit-accessible, affordable, and filled with some of the best drag shows and bars around.
- Get your fill of history with one of Chicago’s historic neighbourhoods, Wicker Park. One of the oldest neighbourhoods in town, you’ll find Wicker Park to be incredibly lively. While there are so many great places to eat and drink, Wicker Park is also super family-friendly. If strolling through boutique bookstores on your way to your new favourite café sounds like your cup of tea (or coffee), check out Wicker Park.
What You’ll Love About Living in Chicago
You’ve purchased the classic down jacket for the upcoming winter, figured out the public transit system, and moved into your new apartment. Now what? It’s time to enjoy the amazing things that Chicago has to offer. Here are some of the things that you can’t miss after moving.
- Chicago has one of North America’s biggest Chinatown Fill up on dim sum, take in the adorable bakeries and shops, and admire the incredible public art, including the stunning Nine Dragons Wall.
- Take yourself out to the ball game. Enjoy the atmosphere of a baseball game as Chicago is definitely an iconic baseball city, with two teams. Will you be a White Sox or a Cubs fan? The choice is yours!
- Have you ever tried deep-dish pizza? These delicious pies originate from Chicago and are filled with delicious sauce and endless cheese. Have fun trying different places until you find your favourite spot.
- We could all use a little laugh, and there’s a lot of funny stuff going down in Chicago. Chicago is known for its comedy scene and is home to Second City, the most esteemed improv institution in North America. Catch a show for a glimpse of performers who might be the next comedy legends.
Chicago Long Distance Moving Company
Are you ready to start your move to Chicago? Trans Canada Movers can make it easy for you; we’ve been helping Canadians make long-distance, cross-border moves for years and know how to make it easy for you to relocate to your new home. Call us today at 1 (888) 433-1335 or contact us here to get started