Moving to San Jose, California
In the centre of the Santa Clara Valley, on the southern shore of the San Francisco Bay, lies the third-most populous city in California, San Jose. It is known as the “Capital of Silicon Valley” for being the cultural, political, and economic centre of the Valley and has the most millionaires and billionaires in the United States per capita. If you’re ready for a change of pace and are preparing to make your move from Canada to San Jose, we can help make the process smooth.
With our years of experience helping Canadians move across the border, we at Trans Canada Movers are more than able to ensure you’ve got all the documentation you’ll need to make your move easier. We also recommend that you check out our guide for moving from Canada to the USA in order to be fully prepared for your move. In the meantime, we’ve got your guide to San Jose right here to help you learn more about your new city and get the inside scoop on all things San Jose.
Why Move to San Jose
Known for its rich history, cultural diversity, and easy access to surrounding cities and beaches, San Jose has a lot to offer newcomers and long-time residents alike. We’ve rounded up some of the top reasons people choose to relocate to San Jose for you here.
- The Weather. San Jose boasts a Mediterranean climate with hot summers and balmy winters, making it the ideal escape when you’re sick of the snow. The year-round warmth also means a never-ending growing season for garden enthusiasts.
- Silicon Valley. If you’re relocating for work, San Jose is a bustling tech hub and home to the big three—Facebook, Google, and Apple. In fact, many in the tech industry made the move to San Jose due to the higher salaries compared to other tech hubs.
- There’s Always Something to Do. No matter what the weather is like, you’ll always be able to find something to do in San Jose. From hiking, biking, and picnics out at Alum Rock Park to exploring museums like the San Jose Museum of Art and The Tech Museum of Innovation, there’s something for everyone.
- Top Notch Schools. From a plethora of excellent public primary and secondary schools to private academies, San Jose schools offer great opportunities to young families. There are also several universities including San Jose State University and California University of Management and Technology.
The Best Areas to Live in San Jose
San Jose offers a lot of beautiful and bustling neighbourhoods that range from urban to suburban. Here are a few of our favourite neighbourhoods that you’ll want to consider before making your move.
- The Rose Garden neighbourhood is built on former prune and pear orchards. You’ll find the Municipal Rose Garden at the center, home to nearly 200 rose species in a rainbow of colours. There’s also the Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum with the largest collection of Egyptian artifacts in the country.
- Downtown gives residents a view of the city’s skyline and a small town vibe due to the micro neighbourhoods on the edge of Downtown and single-family housing options. Housing styles vary from Victorian, Craftsman, Mission, as well as luxury high-rise condos.
- Silver Creek sits southeast of the city and provides a suburban lifestyle with views of the valley. Here you’ll find gorgeous Tuscan-style homes and the Silver Creek Valley Country Club.
- Los Gatos is located on the edge of the Santa Cruz mountains and features cottages and well-preserved Victorian era buildings. Chic boutiques and coffee houses are within easy walking distance.
What Locals Love About San Jose
Of course, there’s more to life than going to work every day. If you’re looking for things to do when you’re off the clock, we’ve got a helpful list of things locals love about San Jose to get you started right here.
- The close proximity to other cities is a huge draw for locals looking for a quick day trip to San Francisco or the Napa Valley wine region. Not to mention San Jose is only four hours from Yosemite National Park and close to some great beaches.
- Sports fans will love the huge variety of sports teams to cheer for. From the Stanley Cup-winning San Jose Sharks for hockey to the San Jose Earthquakes soccer, to even the Silicon Valley Roller Girls roller derby team, game night is pretty much always on.
- Foodies praise San Jose’s eclectic food scene. Whatever you crave, you’ll find it in San Jose. Local hole-in-the-wall eateries can be found in every neighbourhood and serve as the perfect place to catch up with friends and unwind after a long week.
- With great weather comes an array of seasonal events including Jazz on the Plazz in June and the Fremont Summer Concert Series. From art displays to live performances, San Jose boasts year-round and often free entertainment to take in and enjoy.
Make Your Move to San Jose with Trans Canada Movers
You’ve got a lot on your plate when it comes to preparing for a cross border move. Let Trans Canada Movers take some of the stress from your shoulders with our expert moving services. We have years of experience helping Canadians relocate to the US and would be happy to take care of the logistics for you. We even offer a convenient moving calculator to help you properly budget for your move.
When you’re ready to set the wheels in motion on your move to San Jose, you can request a custom quote or contact us directly for more information. Relax, you’re in good hands with Trans Canada Movers.