Moving From Vancouver, BC to Seattle
So, you’ve made the decision to move from Vancouver to Seattle. The Emerald City and the surrounding Puget Sound region are known for the steady supply of water falling from the sky, but even on rainy days, this is one of the most beautiful places in the country. Seattle is renowned for its unrivaled natural beauty and world class attractions—you can experience a thriving arts and culture scene in the early afternoon while attending a major league sports game in the evening.
Our dedicated team at Trans Canada Movers would love to make your move to this vibrant city as relaxing and painless as possible. That’s why we created a helpful guide for moving from Canada to the USA for you to prepare for your move. You’ll also want to ensure that you have all the proper documentation ready for when you reach the border. In the meantime, keep reading this helpful guide to Seattle to learn more about your new city.
Why Move to Seattle?
There are so many great reasons to move to the Pacific Northwest gem that is Seattle. A hot job market, world class schools, and a unique culture are just a few reasons worth calling Seattle home. More great reasons include:
- Amazing Coffee. As the birthplace of Starbucks, Seattle knows a thing or two about coffee. You can visit the Starbucks Roastery and Tasting Room for some rare Starbucks coffees, or try Elm Coffee Roasters in Pioneer Square. Take your morning routine up a notch with all the coffee options you’ll find in the city.
- Ideal Weather. Despite what you might have heard about the rain in Seattle, the area actually gets some great weather. Rain, when it does happen, usually comes in the form of a light shower that your raincoat can handle no problem. Summers are warm and have low humidity, perfect for staying comfortable.
- Festivals and Events. Entertainment is easy to find in Seattle. Ranging from the annual Bumbershoot Music and Arts Festival to the Seattle International Film Festival, there’s plenty of things to check out in the city for entertainment.
- Plenty of Green Space. Whether you’re looking for some nature within the city limits from one of the many parks or heading to one of the hundreds of trails just outside it, Seattle residents have many options within easy reach. If you’re in search of a space that’s a little more blue, there are plenty of water sport activities around the Puget Sound.
Best Areas to Live in Seattle
There’s a neighbourhood for just about everyone in Seattle. Whether you’re looking for nightlife or a quiet place to settle into, you’ll find it here. We’ve listed a few here:
- Fremont. In the centre of the city just north of downtown lies Fremont, a bohemian neighbourhood with indie shops, bars, and the Fremont Troll sculpture that lurks under the Aurora Bridge. The Fremont Sunday Market boasts art, antiques, and food trucks for a relaxing day out before the work week begins.
- Belltown. Trendy restaurants, live music venues, and gorgeous views of Puget Sound are the highlight of this neighbourhood. There’s also the Olympic Sculpture Park for some fresh air and art installations.
- Pioneer Square. As Seattle’s first unofficial neighbourhood, Pioneer Square boasts late-1800s Romanesque Revival buildings now filled with art galleries, coffee shops, and trendy bars. Take a quiet lunch at Waterfall Garden Park or grab a bite from the food trucks at Occidental Square.
- Magnolia. For a more residential neighbourhood, Magnolia offers easy access to the beaches and forested trails of Discovery Park. You’ll find a farmer’s market, the annual SummerFest, and Fisherman’s Terminal around Magnolia to bring you something to do year round.
Locals’ Favourite Things About Living in Seattle
Locals love how eclectic Seattle is. From diverse museums and public art installations to dozens of local coffee shops, there’s a lot to love about Seattle. Some other things locals love about Seattle include:
- Your four-legged friend will fit right in. Seattle is incredibly dog-friendly, with most people owning a dog or two. This makes it easy for both you and your pup to make new friends.
- Going green is easy. Environmentally-conscious people will enjoy the city’s emphasis on organic products, limited product packaging, and bulk food stores. Don’t forget your reusable tote, either, as you can no longer get plastic bags at the grocery store.
- Seattle is a city built upon itself. One of the hidden gems of Seattle is the Seattle Underground, a network of underground passageways and basements from what remains of the original city of Seattle that burned down in 1889.
Make Your Move to Seattle Smooth with Trans Canada Movers
Moving from Vancouver to Seattle can be stressful, but it doesn’t have to be if you choose Trans Canada Movers. We’ve got many years of experience helping Canadians make the move across the border and into their new home. Let us take care of the logistics while you focus on choosing a neighbourhood and getting excited about all the things to see and do once you arrive in Seattle. Trans Canada Movers will ensure your move is as efficient and stress-free as possible.
Get started with our Moving Calculator for a custom quote on your moving costs, then contact us to find out how we can help make your move from Vancouver to Seattle a breeze.